Saturday, July 18, 2009

A Real Farmers Market

We went to town again,,, yes I know that's 3 times this week.. This time to check out the farmers market. They have their market on Tues and Sat mornings.
There were about 12 farmers and wives, backed up their trucks in 2 rows selling their fresh fruit and veggies and some plants...

We bought a mush melon,.kinda like cantaloupe,,,2 fresh hugh garlic bulbs, qt bag black eye peas already shelled and Dad bought a bag of mustard greens....

He's cooking dinner tonight he tells me....greens with onion and ham hocks,,,black eye peas and cornbread...

Then we went over a couple of block to downtown Corsicana and stopped at Dee's Place for breakfast.... well, It's an very historic old drug/soda fountain store and looks it. They are well known supposedly for their hamburgers. Today all they could offer for breakfast was: bacon and eggs or biscuits & gravy, cause their grill is out of order...When I asked what kind of gravy, sausage or bacon?... the gal said What do you mean?...oh we don't make our our gravy...(Ewwww!)
I just smiled and said oh, I'll take eggs and bacon please.... the bacon was microwaved..but ok...

Next we head across to the other end of town, to Walmart for groceries this time.... MAN! their craft and fabric section is going out too...Where am I going to get fabric at without driving 50 miles? Bought $187.00 in groceries and came home and repackaged it into smaller daily serving sizes for us....

Chased a red cardinal around front yard trying to get its picture but too far away. Danny bring me your camera... Ok guess I'll go work on my puzzle on the sunporch..looks like its clouding up a little...

1 comments:

Holly Michelle Chandler said...

I'm sorry, did the waitress really say the words "we don't make our own gravy"??? Wow. I'm still tripping out on buying stuff from farmers off their trucks and taking it home and cooking it. I don't know why, but that just sounds like the coolest thing. I wanna do that now. Sounds like you guys are having fun.